Search

Friday, September 17, 2010

A Day in the Life; San Jose

My University - photo courtesy of Kyle Clifton

                An ideal typical day begins with me getting up at 6:30 taking a shower, eating breakfast at 7:00 and heading out of the door at 7:45 for my 8 o’clock class.  In the states I would think that was wayyyyyyy too early.  However, here the day begins that early, so I get up that early.  That was something important I learned in high school from my exchange student; adapt to the host culture’s schedule.
                I have my intensive Spanish class from 8 until noon with a half hour break from 10:00 to 10:30.  Three and a half hours of Spanish in one day might seem like a lot but it really isn’t.  I am thoroughly entertained by my class and my teacher; Eugenia Yglesias, who I am quite pleased with.  I haven’t learned anything yet that I hadn’t already been exposed to but I am definitely mastering the things that we review.  I don’t have a text book, which I love; instead I have a combination workbook/text/reading book.  My professor assembled it and it is tailored to exactly what she wants us to learn.
Inside my university with a little garden sitting area.
 - photo courtesty of Kyle Clifton
                During my break at 10:00 I will go to a little lunch counter and buy coffee, it costs 400 colones, and I buy it from a Tica who refers to me as “mi amor.” At noon I eat lunch.  This could be anywhere.  One of the little lunch counters around (called Sodas) where I can get a meal for about $5, a lunch place at the school for $4, or at my home stay for $2.
                After noon I can do whatever I want since I don’t have any of my elective classes yet.  This is usually where I take advantage of the extra-curricular activities that my college offers.  On Mondays and Thursdays there is two hours of Spanish conversation club at 1.  Tuesdays and Thursday at 8 I have dance class.  Wednesday I have cooking class at 1, and Friday we don’t do anything so I usually come home and relax.  I will have dinner around 5 or 6 or 7, who knows when the next one will be?
                 For nightlife there is quite a bit to do.  For me going to school and one extra activity each day is enough social interaction for me so I usually don’t do much during the week.  If I do we go out around 7 and I make it home around 10:30, just enough time to shower and go to bed to wake up for my class the next day.  Usually though I just hang out at home, try to get my homework done which is quite hard for me, and talk with my Tica momma, or her brother Jose.  Jose is learning English so we have bilingual conversations helping each other with phrases and vocabulary.  If I do go out I try and get every place pre-approved by one of my CEA people, so I don’t end up anywhere too sketchy.
Another part of the university with a great view
 of other parts of San Jose from the 3rd floor.
- photo courtesy of Kyle Clifton
        Thanks for taking the time to read my blog, or to look at the pictures whatever you like, and I hope I am effectively sharing my life with you.  Now on to business.  If you have a Google account use it to follow me on my blog.  Think about it, the more people that I know are reading my blog the higher quality it will be. If you are not Google-savvy show some love on Facebook.  Also, let me know what you would like to read about, be specific or else I wont do anything, maybe I am leaving out something incredibly interesting?

David


                

3 comments:

  1. The University looks really modern. It reminds me of the Guggenheim. As for blog topics, I would just like to hear about your day-to-day life & your thoughts/reflections on it. I like the idea you mentioned on skype, comparing things to home, like the food. Question- do you have to pay for all your homestay meals?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay thank you for the suggestion dearest sister. I get breakfast and Dinner for free, all I can eat, really it is too much food. Then if I want to eat lunch at my house I only have to pay $2.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice commentary "little Bro." You are certainly expanding the use of your "introspective juices" but I know you would rather be here working at a hog farm like John's or cutting drain lines with black sludge running down your arms or breaking up concrete. I knopw it is heartbreaking for you. I am sorry you are missing so much fun here.

    ReplyDelete