Search

Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Arrival and Exploration

Saturday – I got to San José made it through the airport with no problem, and went to my homestay.  I ate and tried to converse. I picked a room.  I went to bed at six and got up the next morning at 7.

Sunday – I had breakfast with my ticamomma and then met up with my CEA group.  We took a walking tour from Universidad Veritas to downtown San Jose and saw lots of cool stuff.  I met the whole group and we had a brief safety talk.  In my group there are 6 others:

Farley – from Tennessee
Eddie – from Maryland
Kyle – from Alabama
Stephanie – From Boston I think… maybe Massachusetts in general
Lisa – From Minesotta
Syndey – from Minnesota
Also: We are all either 19 – 21 and are here for at least four months.

In downtown San José we saw the outside of the Museo de oro precolombino, the National Museum that used to be the army headquarters, and the Costa Rican assembly. I also learned that I can get home by telling cabs to take me to KFC a los yoses.

A coffee tree or bush depending on who you ask.
After strolling through San José’s downtown we went to the Heredía province and explored a coffee farm called café britt (http://www.cafebritt.com/).  We went on a guided tour where we learned about Costa Rica’s coffee industry and the process of harvesting the coffee cherries.  Café Britt has such high quality coffee because it is situated on the side of a mountain that has volcanic soil that is good for coffee.  This is because of the minerals in the soil and its ability to drain all of the rain that Costa Rica has.  Basically the coffee tree grows and all of the coffee cherries are only picked at their peak ripeness when they are red.  All of the fruits are then put in a water tank in which the ripe fruits sink and the green cherries and leaves, and twigs rise to the top.  The ripe cherries then have their red skins removed and are put in a large tank full of water to dissolve the rest of the muselage.  Then the cherries are washed again and put out in the sun to dry.  When the seeds dry they are now referred to as green coffee.  They smell a lot like hay actually… When the seeds are ready to be roasted they are ran through a machine that removes the paper-like shells (like the red stuff on a peanut) and are roasted.  The longer the roast the darker the coffee.   

1 comment:

  1. I found this very interesting, makes me want a cup of java right now, must wait until the morn.

    ReplyDelete